Your Garden and Rainstorms
Although our gardens love a nice rain shower, too much rain can be harmful to all the plants. After all the hard work you have done to manage your garden, do not let heavy rainstorms ruin it! Follow these tips to protect your garden during heavy storms:
- Remove damaged limbs and shoots – Removing dead limbs and shoots from your plants will help make them more streamlined and will reduce snapping and tangling.
- Add compost and mulch – Adding a couple of inches of compost to the top 8 to 12 inches of soil will help with drainage.
- Support taller plants – Push wooden or metal support into the ground and tie taller plants to it. This will help keep them stable against rain and strong winds.
- Drainage – Make sure there is a proper runoff that tilts away from your garden and make sure it is not blocked. Water collecting in your garden can be damaging to your plants, possibly drowning them.
- Cover your most delicate plants – Use a waterproof tarp to cover your most fragile plants during heavy rainstorms. Make sure that the covering is not blocking water from draining because it can cause other plants to drown.
- Check your vegetable roots – Once the rainstorm has stopped, make sure there are no exposed roots following soil erosion. If there are exposed roots, cover them with soil or compost before they dry out.
- Check your pots and planters – Pots and planters can easily become flooded if the drainage is blocked. Check them before, during and after rainstorms. You can always cover pots and planters if necessary.
- Pull weeds up by hand – The moist soil after rain means you are much more likely to retrieve the whole root without it snapping or breaking.
Need more tips? Go to The Plant Guide for more information on maintaining your garden during severe weather.
Water Damage on Hardwood Floors
How Water Warps Hardwood Flooring
When water floods areas with hardwood floors, the material tries to absorb the water. Excessive moisture forces the wood to expand, which can cause warping or cupping. Here at SERVPRO, we always encourage water damage victims to extract as much water as possible while they wait for help to arrive.
Saving Wet Hardwood Floors
In some cases, we can save your hardwood floors. If the water is quickly extracted and there is not significant warping, then we can use a drying process specifically designed for hardwood floors. But if the flooring was exposed to moisture for a significant period and shows major signs of warping, then your hardwood will need to be removed and replaced.
Call Professionals Before It is Too Late
While it is possible to save your water-damaged hardwood flooring, time is a critical factor. If you notice water damage in your home, call a professional cleanup and restoration company like our team here at SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola. We offer 24/7 emergency restoration services. Call us today at (989)673-7680.
Do you smell gas?
Many people assume that natural gas explosions are a thing of the past, back when regulations were not as strict as they are today. However, the truth is that gas fires continue to occur at an alarming rate and, sadly, they often result in much more dire consequences than fire damage. You can prevent a gas fire by recognizing the signs of a gas leak.
Determine if Your Home Utilizes Natural Gas
Before you learn the signs of a gas leak, you should determine which aspects of your home use natural gases. You may be at risk of a gas leak if any of the following appliances use the natural commodity:
- Hot water heater
- AC unit
- Heating system
If any of your appliances run on gas, invest in gas detectors, and remain vigilant for signs of a gas leak.
What to Do If You Suspect a Gas Leak
A gas leak can quickly lead to a gas fire which can quickly lead to a gas explosion. For this reason, it is imperative that you recognize the signs of a leak and take proper measures to prevent disaster:
- Check the stove: If it is safe to do so, walk over to your stove to make sure all the burners are off.
- Open the doors and windows: If you cannot find the source of the leak, open all the doors and windows to help the gases escape.
- Do not flip any switches: A light switch can cause a spark, which can cause an explosion. Keep all the lights off if you suspect a gas leak.
- Shut off your gas meter: If you do not know where your gas meter is located, now's the time to find it. If you smell gases, locate the meter, and turn it off.
A gas fire can be extremely dangerous. For this reason, the best thing you can do if you suspect a gas leak is to leave your home ASAP and call 911. If a fire does occur, the SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & North Tuscola fire damage cleanup crew can help with the restoration process.
Battling Extreme Heat
Summer is here and we’ve already experienced high temperatures. As temperatures continue to rise, survive the summer heat by following the tips below.
- Stay cool indoors: Stay in an air-conditioned place as much as you can. If your home does not have air conditioning, go somewhere that does such as a store, restaurant, etc.
- Take a cool shower or bath to cool off: When you overheat in the humidity outside, relax and cool down with a cold shower to help restore your body temperature.
- Schedule outdoor activities with caution: Try to limit outdoor activities to when it’s coolest, such as morning or evening. Find shady areas to rest in so your body has a chance to recover.
- Pace yourself: Limit exercise during extreme heat.
- Wear sunscreen: Protect your skin from sunburn and sun damage. Sunburn affects your body’s ability to cool down, leading to dehydration.
- Avoid hot and heavy meals: They add heat to your body.
- Drink fluids: Drink plenty of fluids, no matter how active you are. Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink.
- Avoid sugary or alcoholic drinks: These drinks can make you lose more body fluid. Drinking cold drinks can also cause stomach cramps.
- Replace salt and minerals: Sweating removes salt and minerals from the body that needs to be replaced. Sports drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade can replace salt and minerals you lose in sweat.
- Keep your pets hydrated: Provide plenty of fresh water for your pets to keep them cool and hydrated. Leave their water bowl in shady areas to help cool them down.
Beat the heat this summer with these helpful tips! For more information about extreme heat, visit cdc.gov.
Tornadoes can quickly rip through communities destroying buildings and homes and can produce deadly flying debris. Tornadoes are nothing to mess with and it is crucial to act quickly if one comes through the area. Here are some tips to prepare for tornadoes in Michigan:
Under a tornado warning? Find shelter immediately:
- Stay away from windows, outside walls, and doors.
- Find a safe and sturdy building.
- Stay in a low and flat location.
- It is best to go into a basement or storm cellar.
- If you do not have a basement, go to a small interior room on the lowest level (avoiding windows).
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
- Watch for flying debris.
How to prepare:
- Know your area’s tornado risk. By living in the Midwest, we have a larger risk of tornadoes.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system.
- Know the signs of a tornado.
- Funnel cloud
- Cloud of debris
- Loud roar like a freight train
- Pay close attention to weather reports.
- Choose a safe place and practice going there with your family to prepare.
- Always keep a safe distance away from others in your safe shelter.
What to do during:
- Go to your safe shelter immediately.
- Do not try to outrun a tornado in your car.
- Cover your head and neck for extra protection.
- Listen to your local alert systems for current emergency information. You can also listen to EAS and NOAA Weather Radio for information.
- If you happen to be outside or in your car, cover your arms and body with a coat or blanket.
What to do after:
- Continue listening to your local alert system, EAS or NOAA Weather Radio for updates.
- If you happen to be trapped, cover your mouth with a cloth or mask to avoid breathing dust.
- Do not enter damaged buildings until they are safe.
- Save your phone calls for emergencies.
- Stay clear of fallen power lines.
For more information, visit ready.gov on how to prepare for tornadoes.
Water Damage can Leave an Odor
You can’t always see water damage, but you can always smell it. Most water damage odors are hard to ignore and alert you that there is damage in your home. Odors from water damage can be noticeable immediately or can occur sometime after the water is removed. Here are some common odors:
- Muddy smell: If outdoor flooding has entered the home, you may notice an earthy smell associated with lakes.
- Sewage smell: If water damage in your home is a result of a backed-up sewer, you will immediately notice the odor of raw sewage.
- Musty odors: Musty odors occur after the fact. This is a sign that mold is growing in your home.
Always remember to trust your nose. If it smells wrong, it probably is. The sooner you notice the problem, the sooner we can help. A highly trained SERVPRO professional can access the degree of your damage. To get rid of the odor in your home, our franchise professionals will find the source of the odor and determine the best methods to neutralize and eliminate the odor from your home.
Your Belongings and Fire Damage
Cleaning Your Belongings After A Fire
It is not just the structure of your thumb area property that will suffer from damage after a fire. The contents of your home can suffer from a ton of damage, and in some cases, they can be damaged beyond repair. In other cases, contents restoration by our SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola team can save your furniture, upholstery, or other personal belongings.
Our team has the training, experience, and equipment necessary to make fire-damaged belongings look brand new! If you have any questions or are in need of our fire cleanup services, give us a call today!
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call Us Today – (989)673-7680
SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola specializes in restoring contents damaged by water, fire, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your belongings to determine what items we can restore to pre-fire condition. We use several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning due to fire damage, SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. Move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Fire-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by fire. Smoke residues can contain acids that corrode metal surfaces. If the residues are not removed, corrosion causes electronic failure in the device. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water or fire, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the fire damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-fire damage condition, SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of fire, smoke, or soot damage, they have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a fire emergency strikes, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
Peace of mind when you need it most!
As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola is trained to identify and eliminate offensive odors. These odors can come from a number of sources both inside and outside a structure.
SERVPRO teaches IICRC technical classes in the proper removal of odors. Masking and other shortcuts don't work when your odor problem is serious or persistent.
We have the training and equipment to identify and eliminate these offensive odors. By identifying the cause of the odor, and determining the conditions where it contacts surfaces, the odor can often be removed over time without a trace. Our technicians have access to several odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to neutralize an unpleasant odor thoroughly.
The science of identifying and eliminating odors can be a tricky thing, so give us a call, and leave the restoration to us.
Trauma and Crime Scene Cleaning
Our technicians follow OSHA and EPA protocols to help transform an unsafe environment back into a clean, safe home or business. Our first focus is always safety, since crime or accident scenes may involve bloodborne pathogens, harmful chemicals, and other dangers. We will always treat your property and the people involved with the greatest empathy and respect in the face of trying circumstances.
After the police have finished processing a crime or accident scene, the cleaning and restoration process can begin. Many times, crime and accident scenes have blood and other biohazard contaminants that pose a serious health risk. SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola will respond immediately and has the specialized training, protective equipment, and experience to safely clean trauma and crime scenes.
Need Trauma or Crime Scene Cleanup? Call Today – (989)673-7680
Crime Scene and Trauma Cleaning Services
- Fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals
- Tear gas and pepper spray residues
- Fire extinguisher residue
- Blood, bodily fluids, and tissue remnants
Common Trauma and Crime Scene Scenarios
Crime Scene Residues
From fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues, we can clean and restore your property after a crime scene investigation.
We remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Our trained Professionals clean, disinfect and deodorize the structure.
Illegal Drug - "Meth" Labs
Many of the chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs such as "meth" are volatile and can leave harmful residues throughout a structure. Our technicians follow federal and state guidelines to properly clean all surfaces.
Vandalism and Graffiti Cleanup
Vandalism and graffiti can be very upsetting. It can range from relatively minor pranks to malicious destruction of property. Often simple acts of vandalism, like breaking a window, can cause significant water and mold damage if not addressed in a timely manner.
Need Vandalism and Graffiti Cleanup Services?
Call Us Today – (989)673-7680
SERVPRO of Huron, Sanilac & N. Tuscola will act quickly to remove vandalism and graffiti from home and commercial spaces. In addition to removing spray-painted graffiti from exterior walls, we can also clean driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry. Our highly trained technicians can offer the following services:
- General cleaning and graffiti removal
- Brick, stone, and concrete cleaning
- Odor removal and deodorization
- Debris removal
- Water damage restoration
- Fire damage restoration
- Mold damage restoration
- Contents cleaning